Baked Stuffed Peppers
My Dad has always raved about my stuffed peppers. It was always something he requested I cook when I lived at home. I’ve used the same recipe for as long as I’ve made them and it’s a no fail recipe for sure.
What I love about it is it’s incredibly adaptable. You can make it with whatever color bell peppers you prefer (I always use a variety, green peppers give us at my house heartburn) You can use ground beef, turkey, chicken or even tofu, and you can make it dairy free by using vegan shreds instead of cheese.
I hope you give it a try and love it as much as we do!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4-6 large Bell Peppers
- 1 lb. Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 1/2 c. Sweet Onion, chopped
- 16 oz. canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 c. Long Grain Rice
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Cut the tops from peppers; discard seeds and membranes. Chop enough of the tops for 1/4 cup; set aside.
- Optional: boil peppers uncovered for 5 minutes, invert to drain well. Sprinkle insides of peppers with salt to absorb excess water. (*I skip this step, as I prefer the peppers have a bit more crunch to them in the end, but if you prefer yours to be well done go ahead with this step)
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and 1/4 c. chopped peppers until softened. Add found beef and cook thoroughly. Drain excess fat. Add crushed tomatoes, uncooked rice, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15-18 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir in 1/2 the cheese.
- Place peppers upright in a baking dish. Stuff peppers with mixture and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350f for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.