Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Trifle
This recipe came into existence by way of total coincidence.
I made a chocolate chip banana bread for Christmas Eve that stuck to the pan something awful! Not wanting to throw away a perfectly good bread (that was just in a few pieces and in no way sliceable) I made a trifle with it.
It was a smashing hit! Everyone raved about it! In fact, this was the first time I have made a dessert for a house full of people and left with an empty dish.
So now, it’s a full blown recipe of its own.
Even though the bread didn’t stick this time. I had every plan on making this trifle from the get go. I promise you, once you use silicone pans, you will never bake in a traditional pan again!
Matt’s birthday seemed like a great opportunity to make it again. We are not huge fans of cake in general, but banana bread is a whole ‘nother ball game. It’s also not a difficult thing to keep gluten free so we can share with our gluten free little girl.
If you are looking for a dessert recipe that is sweet, flavorful, and completely gluten free…look no further!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Trifle
Step 1: Bread
- 3 medium overripe Bananas
- 3/4 c. Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 c. Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1 c. Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- Preheat oven to 350f. Lightly grease a silicone cake or loaf pan (I used a cake pan) set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Whisk in the sugar, egg, vanilla, and vegetable oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold dry mixture into the wet mixture until well combined and a batter forms.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes; or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool.
*When using silicone bakeware I recommend placing the pan itself on a basic cookie sheet before pouring the batter. This will make it easier to put into the oven without spilling any of the contents as the silicone doesn’t hold shape when you lift it.
Step 2: Trifle
- 2 boxes Jello Banana Cream Instant Pudding
- 2 tubs Cool Whip (thawed)
- Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- Prepared Banana Bread
- Prepare pudding according to the instructions on the box. (I can not stress enough, do NOT use Almond milk or Soy milk as the pudding will not set and you will need to go back to the store for more pudding)
- Cut the banana bread into 1 inch squares.
- In a trifle dish, place a layer of the bread, top with a layer of pudding, followed by a layer of cool whip, and a layer of chocolate chips. Repeat. *My trifle dish allowed for three layers. However many layers you end up with is fine, just be sure you end with chocolate chips as the final top layer.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.