Gluten-Free Apple Carrot Cake
My boyfriend, Matt loves carrot cake. His grandmother makes one that no other cake, especially carrot cake, can compare to (I can attest to this). But having a child with food allergies, means that grandma’s famous dessert, is something Harper can never. I wanted to make a version that our whole family could enjoy, and what better day than Father’s Day to make one of Matt’s favorite desserts!
This cake was AHHHMMMAAAZZING!! Seriously, so so good.
I was concerned that it might be too heavy a cake for the summer heat that’s settled in Massachusetts the past week, but the orange zest adds this incredible refreshing taste that pairs amazingly with the cream cheese frosting. A definite must try!
Apple Carrot Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
This cake is packed with fresh carrots and apples and has a refreshing citrus flavor that will surprise and satisfy.
For the Apple Cake Batter
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing pans
- 2 c. Anthony’s Almond Flour
- 1/2 c. Anthony’s Tapioca Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1 1/2 c. Woodstock Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 c. Shredded Carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 c. Shredded Green Apple (about 2 medium apples)
- 1 tbsp. Orange Zest
For the Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 oz.) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, at room temp
(for dairy free use Kite-Hill Cream Cheese)
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, at room temp
(for dairy free use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 2 c. Woodstock Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two round silicone cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- To make the apple carrot cake batter, in a mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and sea salt. Mix together well and set aside.
- Shred your apples and carrots, zest orange, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully transfer into a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the stand mixer using the paddle attachment, mix together whole eggs and cane sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrots, green apple, and orange zest and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Using a spatula, gently fold prepared egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- To make the vanilla cream cheese frosting, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Spread as desired over the apple cake before serving.
- Refrigerate any remaining cake.